Thursday, October 29, 2009

I Think I Like Maxi Dresses

It was right before one of my first high school dances and I came into the kitchen wearing a long black dress. My mother scrunched up her nose and said "why not something shorter? You have such nice legs." I looked at myself and sighed - it was a little blah. I switched to a shorter black skirt and top and headed out to the dance. That evening I got so many compliments that I vowed never to wear a long dress or skirt again. Fast forward to today - Sitting in a showroom I spy a beautiful maxi dress, so awesome I think I want it. My head starts to ache. This defies everything I have taught myself to feel. Over the next couple hours I see them everywhere, in the subway, in store windows and magazines. I make it back to the office and flip through the racks. Grabbing a couple I try them on and settle on the one I'm wearing now - a sheer black t shirt dress that I threw over leggings and a tank and added a gold belt. I think I really like it. I may have converted.


Margarita Saplala '09

Naeem Khan '10